Parker Wellbore helps energy companies accomplish their drilling and production goals efficiently, reliably, and safely. Our global team supports oil and gas operators with innovative land and offshore drilling services; premium rental tools and well services; and advanced operations and management support. Founded in 1934, Parker Wellbore helps customers manage their costs and mitigate their risks, to achieve their operational goals in a safe and efficient manner. With experience in both harsh-environment regions and complex drilling situations, you can trust Parker Wellbore to get the job done.
The Electrician position performs all tasks and duties of an electrical discipline including but not limited to, installing or maintaining the variable speed /SCR drives, electrical wiring on miscellaneous equipment including but not limited to, generators, air conditioning, refrigeration, and alarm systems. The position is responsible for all drilling and support equipment pertaining to the drilling of the well including but not limited to, circulating, rotating, hoisting and well control systems.
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standards
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company policies, standards, and procedures.
- Support the HSE objective of no injuries, accidents or harm to the environment as it relates to all electrical processes, procedures, and policies.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Delegate work effectively with a clear definition of requirements and expectations.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of those working under direct supervision.
- Comply with emergency response plan or Work Safe Procedures during emergencies and/ or drills.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Ensure Authorized To Operate (ATO) and Approved Competent Operator (ACO) are applied and followed.
- Understand LO/TO and Permit to Work procedures.
- Download and Upload PLC programs.
- Troubleshoot control logics with PLC’s based control.
- Read and analyze PLC Control Logics.
- Troubleshoot and analyze VFD control logics.
- Splice wire with approved cutting device or cutting pliers and soldiers’ connections to fixtures, outlets and equipment.
- Test circuit connections using electrical test equipment.
- Install test and maintain electrical equipment such as air conditioning, heating and refrigeration equipment.
- Respond to emergencies as requested and coordinate onsite activities to utilize resources to facilitate repairs in the most expedient and cost effective manner.
- Install and repair lighting systems.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance of electrical equipment.
- Repair electrical equipment such as panel lighting, circuit breakers, junction boxes, voltage regulators and reverse current relays.
- Fabricate and install electrical distribution panels for motor start and operations.
- Fabricate, install and maintain alarm and video system.
- Install, calibrate and maintain gas detection equipment.
- Maintain a preventative maintenance schedule for all electrical equipment.
- Read and analyze electrical drawings, schematics and equipment manuals.
- Repair or replace defective or worn electrical parts.
- Troubleshoot miscellaneous electrical equipment.
- Foresee potential equipment malfunctions or failures and preforms required repairs, adjustments or modification to resolve the problem.
- Coordinate with Maintenance Manager on the maintenance, repair and refurbishment of equipment.
- Create Job requests and work orders as required and enter into maintenance tracking system
- Ensure an adequate amount of spare parts are on hand at all times.
- Submit requisitions to Rig Manager for approval.
- Maintain records of all electrical inventories and place orders as required within budgetary limits.
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed.
Necessary qualifications, skills and abilities
- Must possess and maintain certifications and licenses necessary as required by the appropriate regulatory authorities.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in basic rigger’s role to ensure safe lifting operations are performed.
- Knowledgeable of electrical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Must possess mathematical skills required for certification as an Electrician.
- Should have good PC skills to include all MS Office products.
- Must have proficient knowledge of diagnostic equipment.
- Must be a self-motivator and work without close supervision.
- Must be able to prioritize jobs and work under tight time restraints.
- Can demonstrate knowledge and fundamentals of the following equipment:
o Drilling controls system
o Power generation system
o Power transformers
o AC/DC motor application and drive systems
o System components
o Refrigeration and air conditioning
- Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of him/her or others.
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, good common sense and have the ability to follow directions.
- Must be able to recognize hazards, alarms, warnings and the ability to convey these to the proper personnel.
- Should possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Should have good verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Must be experienced in the control of VFDs (Conversion side as well as the Inversion side).
- Must be experienced in electronically controlled engines.
- Must be experienced in Conventional Generator control devices and control.
- Education, experience, and certifications:
o High School diploma is required.
o Must be able to obtain appropriate offshore or, onshore certifications
o Should have at least 6 years of work experience in maintaining electrical equipment.
Additional qualifications, skills and abilities
• The employee will be required to meet all standards required for safe operations, including but not limited to the standards set forth in the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers Atlantic Canada Medical Assessment for Fitness to Work Offshore as well as any other standards set forth by regulatory bodies having jurisdiction over the operations.
• The employee must stay mentally alert for entire regular shift and must have the ability of simultaneously rapid mental coordination.
• This position will be located offshore Newfoundland and Labrador on the Hibernia platform and is subject to extreme temperatures and environments.
• Travel to and from the work location may require extended layovers in unfamiliar locations by helicopter or boat.
• This position will be required on an ad hoc basis to execute defined scopes of work or to meet increasing workloads.
- Initiating & Driving Change • Acts as a catalyst for and takes responsibility for leading, directing, and managing organizational change
• Develops new insights into situations and applies innovative solutions
• Creates work environment that encourages creative thinking and innovation
• Drives step changes in how the company operates
• Understands how to change and addresses not only systems and processes, but also cultural aspects of change
• Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market
• Develops a change strategy that includes milestones and timelines
• Accurately assesses the potential barriers and resources necessary for change initiatives
• Understands and supports the need for change
• Envisions and articulates the intended result of the change process
• Provides direction and focus during the change process
• Helps to generate support of the changes throughout the organization
• Identifies and enlists allies who support the change process
• Provides resources, removes barriers, and acts as an advocate for those initiating change
- Result Focused • Establishes clear, specific performance goals, expectations, and priorities
• Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully
• Is constantly and consistently one of the top performers
• Very bottom-line oriented
• Steadfastly pushes self and others for results
• Navigates quickly and effectively to resolve problems and obstacles
• Persists to complete tasks / responsibilities, even in the face of difficulties
• Develops a sense of urgency in others to complete tasks • Operates with personal ownership and looks for ways to improve performance all the time
• Challenges him- or herself and others to raise the bar on performance
• Focuses people on critical activities that yield a high impact
• Holds self and others accountable for delivering high-quality results on time and within budget (e.g., models high work standards and demands the same from others)
- Team Work • Blends people into teams when they are needed
• Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team
• Shares wins and successes
• Fosters open dialogue
• Lets people finish and be responsible for their work
• Seeks consensus among diverse viewpoints as a means of building group commitment
• Defines success in terms of the whole team
• Creates a feeling of belonging in the team
• Values the contributions of all team members
• Creates an environment that encourages open communication amongst team members
• Creates an environment that encourages collective problem solving amongst team members
- Customer Focus • Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers
• Gets first-hand customer information and uses it to understand customers' business issues and needs for improvements in products and services
• Acts with customer in mind
• Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
• Genuinely enjoys working with customers to build long-term partnerships
• Creates a sense of customer focus throughout their team/ department/ business unit
Physical demands and work environment
- Ability to gather, analyze, and interpret data.
- Ability to work around moving machinery
- Lift, carry, and move objects of up to 50 pounds.
- Operate machinery and/or power tools.
- Ability to walk on uneven ground (gravel, rocks, mounds, ice)
- Wear personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel-toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness.
- Frequently stand, walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull, reach, and use repetitive wrist and hand movements.
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and/or ramps while carrying tools requiring a reasonable degree of physical stamina and agility and involving moderate to severe physical exertion
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions (Cold or Heat)
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, reason logically, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to comprehend, remember, and follow verbal and written directions and comply with Company policies, procedures and standard.
- Ability to work in hazardous conditions (dust/gas/fumes/steam/chemicals)
- Ability to work at heights (scaffolding or ladders)
- Use repetitive wrist, hand or finger movements at a computer.
- Exposure to vibration (oscillating movements of the extremities or whole body)
- Ability to work in noisy environments
- Ability to work in small and/or enclosed spaces