Parker Wellbore helps energy companies accomplish their drilling and production goals efficiently, reliably, and safely. Our global team supports oil and gas operators with innovative land and offshore drilling services, premium rental tools and well services, and advanced operations and management support. Founded in 1934, Parker Wellbore helps customers manage their costs and mitigate their risks, to achieve their operational goals in a safe and efficient manner. With experience in both harsh-environment regions and complex drilling situations, you can trust Parker Wellbore to get the job done.
The Floorhand position is a rig crew member whose primary work station is on the rig floor, however the duties and responsibilities are prominent in every aspect of drilling the well, manual handling of tubular and tools, making up or breaking out during making connections or tripping pipe. The position is responsible for the processes of rigging up/down, drilling and completing the well. Also, maintaining circulating, rotating, hoisting and well control systems.
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standard.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of drilling crew as well as efficient operations during tour of duty.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company policies, standards, and procedures.
- Follow the client’s daily drilling plans.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Ensure crews achieve Company and client competency standards.
- Train and supervise crew members on standard operating procedures to include, but not limited to, proper care and maintenance of the rig and drill string, including lubrication of equipment and housekeeping.
- Delegate work effectively with a clear definition of requirements and expectations.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Ensure Parker Drilling’s Competency program – Authorized to Operate (ATO) and Approved Competent Operator (ACO) are applied and followed.
- Ensure Client competency compliance is applied and followed.
- Straps and measures tubular, casing and tools as required.
- Performs pipe tripping operations (consists of using slips, safety clamps tongs and elevators).
- Performs break out and make up connections during drilling, back reaming or tripping operations (consists of using slips, safety clamps tongs and elevators).
- Operates and maintains the rig floor mud bucket.
- Performs general maintenance of drilling equipment pertaining to the drilling of the well, including the circulating, rotating, hoisting and well control systems.
- Performs safe operation of the rig floor hydraulic winches and man rider winch.
- Inspect snub lines, jerk lines, shackles and cable clamps to ensure they are always in good working condition.
- Inspect and check dies in slips, tongs (and elevators if applicable) to ensure they are always in good
- working condition.
- Inspect and check all rig floor safety belts to ensure they are always in good working condition.
- Assemble well-control or pressure-control equipment on the wellhead.
- Lines up valves, hoses, hard piping for fluid transfer to and from support vessels.
- Performs mud pump repairs and general pump maintenance, including disassemble, reassemble or oil change and filters.
- Mixes mud materials and chemicals as required.
- Performs loading and unloading of tubular from the catwalk, including attaching and removing of lifting equipment or elevators.as required.
- Performs housekeeping and cleanliness around the rig floor working area.
- Performs alignment of stand pipe manifolds and bleed off lines.
- Cleans the mast and substructure with a high-pressure steam cleaning unit.
- Performs scrubbing and cleaning of rig equipment and drilling packages as required with rig wash.
- Performs chipping and painting on drilling packages and equipment as required.
- Comply with platform emergency response plan or station bills during emergencies and/or drills.
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed.
Necessary qualifications, skills and abilities
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various rig equipment.
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various tubular sizes and thread types.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in basic rigger’s role to ensure safe lifting operations are performed.
- Knowledgeable of mechanical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Knowledgeable of and capable of operating forklifts, gantry cranes, tubular shuttles as required.
- Can demonstrate knowledge and execution of the following operations: o Drilling and well operations o Dropped objects prevention o Line of fire, zone of exclusion and safe zone operations o Pipe measurement, number, strapping and tallying of pipes o Tripping and back reaming o Running casing and completions
- Must have good verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate in English with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, common sense and the ability to follow directions.
- Must possess basic mathematical skills (equivalent to a high school education).
- Education, experience, and certifications: o High School diploma is required o Must be able to obtain appropriate Offshore or, Onshore certifications o Should have at least 2 years of work experience.
- Initiating & Driving Change • Acts as a catalyst for and takes responsibility for leading, directing, and managing organizational change • Develops new insights into situations and applies innovative solutions • Creates work environment that encourages creative thinking and innovation • Drives step changes in how the company operates • Understands how to change and addresses not only systems and processes, but also cultural aspects of change • Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market • Develops a change strategy that includes milestones and timelines • Accurately assesses the potential barriers and resources necessary for change initiatives • Understands and supports the need for change • Envisions and articulates the intended result of the change process • Provides direction and focus during the change process • Helps to generate support of the changes throughout the organization • Identifies and enlists allies who support the change process • Provides resources, removes barriers, and acts as an advocate for those initiating change
- Result Focused • Establishes clear, specific performance goals, expectations, and priorities • Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully • Is constantly and consistently one of the top performers • Very bottom-line oriented • Steadfastly pushes self and others for results • Navigates quickly and effectively to resolve problems and obstacles • Persists to complete tasks / responsibilities, even in the face of difficulties • Develops a sense of urgency in others to complete tasks • Operates with personal ownership and looks for ways to improve performance all the time • Challenges him- or herself and others to raise the bar on performance • Focuses people on critical activities that yield a high impact • Holds self and others accountable for delivering high-quality results on time and within budget (e.g., models high work standards and demands the same from others)
- Team Work • Blends people into teams when they are needed • Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team • Shares wins and successes • Fosters open dialogue • Lets people finish and be responsible for their work • Seeks consensus among diverse viewpoints as a means of building group commitment • Defines success in terms of the whole team • Creates a feeling of belonging in the team • Values the contributions of all team members • Creates an environment that encourages open communication amongst team members • Creates an environment that encourages collective problem solving amongst team members
- Customer Focus • Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers • Gets first-hand customer information and uses it to understand customers' business issues and needs for improvements in products and services • Acts with customer in mind • Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect • Genuinely enjoys working with customers to build long-term partnerships • Creates a sense of customer focus throughout their team/ department/ business unit
Physical demands and work environment
- Ability to work around moving machinery
- Wear personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel-toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness.
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and/or ramps while carrying tools requiring a reasonable degree of physical stamina and agility and involving moderate to severe physical exertion
- Ability to comprehend, remember, and follow verbal and written directions and comply with Company policies, procedures and standard.
- Ability to work in noisy environments
- Ability to work as a team, communicate and interact with others in a professional manner, and consider alternative and diverse perspectives.