Parker Wellbore helps energy companies accomplish their drilling and production goals efficiently, reliably, and safely. Our global team supports oil and gas operators with innovative land and offshore drilling services, premium rental tools and well services, and advanced operations and management support. Founded in 1934, Parker Wellbore helps customers manage their costs and mitigate their risks, to achieve their operational goals in a safe and efficient manner. With experience in both harsh-environment regions and complex drilling situations, you can trust Parker Wellbore to get the job done.
The Electronics Technician performs all tasks and duties of an technician discipline including but not limited to, installation or maintaining electrical control and instrumentation systems, i.e. electronics, programmable controllers, telecommunications, transmitters, and hydraulic, pneumatic systems. The Electronics Technician is responsible for all electrical and electronic instrumentation equipment pertaining to the drilling of the well, including circulating, rotating, hoisting and well control systems. The position is also responsible for uploading maintenance and repair data into a Maintenance Management System (MMS).
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standards.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company and Client policies, standards, and procedures.
- Support the HSE objective of no injuries, accidents or harm to the environment as it relates to all IT discipline processes, procedures, and policies.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of those working under direct supervision.
- Comply with platform emergency response plan or station bills during emergencies and/ or drills.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Ensure Authorized To Operate (ATO) and Approved Competent Operator (ACO) are applied and followed
- Ensure Client competency standards are applied and requirements followed.
- Understand LO/TO and Permit to Work procedures.
- Implement and administer computer software programs for data log and control including management of change and version controls on software.
- Read, understand and analyze drawings, schematics and equipment manuals
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on electrical /electronic equipment.
- Coordinate with Maintenance Lead on the maintenance, repair and refurbishment of equipment.
- Enter maintenance and repair data into the SAP Maintenance Management System (MMS)
- Create Notifications and Work Orders as required and enter into SAP maintenance system
- Ensure an adequate amount of critical instrumentation spare parts are on hand and serviceable at all times.
- Repair or replace defective or worn electrical/electronic/instrument parts.
- Troubleshoot miscellaneous electrical/electronic equipment.
- Foresee potential equipment malfunctions or failures and perform required repairs or adjustments to resolve the problem.
- Respond to emergencies as requested and coordinate onsite activities to utilize resources to facilitate repairs in the most expedient and cost effective manner.
- Splice wire with approved cutting device or cutting pliers and solder connections to fixtures, outlets and equipment.
- Test circuit connections using electrical test equipment.
- Participate with installations, repairs, troubleshooting, and maintaining high/low voltage electrical equipment. Also assist with maintenance on related devices including transformers, power panels, light fixtures, receptacles, and disconnect switches.
- Submit requisitions to Senior Toolpusher /Purchasing Coordinator for approval.
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed.
Necessary qualifications, skills and abilities
- Must possess and maintain certifications and licenses necessary as required by the appropriate regulatory authorities.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in basic rigger’s role and CAPP Safe Lifting Practice (SLP) to ensure safe lifting practices are utilized.
- Knowledgeable of electrical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Must possess mathematical skills required for certification as an instrument technician.
- Must have good PC skills to include all MS Office products. SAP PM and MM experience would be advantageous
- Must have proficient knowledge of electronics and instrumentation diagnostic equipment
- Must be a self-motivator and be able to work without close supervision
- Must be able to prioritize jobs and work under tight time restraints.
- Can demonstrate knowledge and fundamentals of the following equipment: o Drilling controls system o Power generation & control system o Hoisting and associated instrumentation system (draw works) o Rotating and associated instrumentation system (top drive) o Circulating and associated instrumentation system (mud pumps) o Drilling rig Smart Zone Management System (SZMS) Common PLC systems including Siemens Step 7
- Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of him/her or others.
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, good common sense and have the ability to follow directions.
- Must be able to recognize hazards, alarms, warnings and the ability to convey these to the proper personnel.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have good verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate in English with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Education, experience, and certifications: o High School diploma is required. o Must possess all current certifications and licenses necessary to safely perform the functions of this job. o Must be able to obtain appropriate Offshore or, onshore certifications o Should have at least 3 years of work experience in maintaining instrumentation and electrical equipment. Higher (technical) education; certificate of the manlift driver or aerial work platform driver (if required); certificate of electrical safety (required group) Having minimum 3 years work experience in PLC’s computers, electronics, calibration, hydraulics, pneumatics and/or oil and gas process equipment Rules of Internal labor regulations; Rules for labor protection, industrial sanitation and personal hygiene, fire safety The rules for the provision of first aid to victims of trauma, poisoning and sudden illness;
Additional qualifications, skills and abilities
- The employee will be required to meet all standards required for safe operations, including but not limited to the standards set forth in the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers Atlantic Canada Medical Assessment for Fitness to Work Offshore as well as any other standards set forth by regulatory bodies having jurisdiction over the operations.
- This position will be located offshore Newfoundland and Labrador on the Hibernia platform and is subject to extreme temperatures and environments.
- Travel to and from the work location may require extended layovers in unfamiliar locations by helicopter or boat.
- Initiating & Driving Change • Acts as a catalyst for and takes responsibility for leading, directing, and managing organizational change • Develops new insights into situations and applies innovative solutions • Creates work environment that encourages creative thinking and innovation • Drives step changes in how the company operates • Understands how to change and addresses not only systems and processes, but also cultural aspects of change • Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market • Develops a change strategy that includes milestones and timelines • Accurately assesses the potential barriers and resources necessary for change initiatives • Understands and supports the need for change • Envisions and articulates the intended result of the change process • Provides direction and focus during the change process • Helps to generate support of the changes throughout the organization • Identifies and enlists allies who support the change process • Provides resources, removes barriers, and acts as an advocate for those initiating change
- Result Focused • Establishes clear, specific performance goals, expectations, and priorities • Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully • Is constantly and consistently one of the top performers • Very bottom-line oriented • Steadfastly pushes self and others for results • Navigates quickly and effectively to resolve problems and obstacles • Persists to complete tasks / responsibilities, even in the face of difficulties • Develops a sense of urgency in others to complete tasks • Operates with personal ownership and looks for ways to improve performance all the time • Challenges him- or herself and others to raise the bar on performance • Focuses people on critical activities that yield a high impact • Holds self and others accountable for delivering high-quality results on time and within budget (e.g., models high work standards and demands the same from others)
- Team Work • Blends people into teams when they are needed • Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team • Shares wins and successes • Fosters open dialogue • Lets people finish and be responsible for their work • Seeks consensus among diverse viewpoints as a means of building group commitment • Defines success in terms of the whole team • Creates a feeling of belonging in the team • Values the contributions of all team members • Creates an environment that encourages open communication amongst team members • Creates an environment that encourages collective problem solving amongst team members
- Customer Focus • Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers • Gets first-hand customer information and uses it to understand customers' business issues and needs for improvements in products and services • Acts with customer in mind • Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect • Genuinely enjoys working with customers to build long-term partnerships • Creates a sense of customer focus throughout their team/ department/ business unit
Physical demands and work environment
- Oversee and manage the overall quality of projects and/or employee performance.
- Ability to gather, analyze, and interpret data.
- Ability to work around moving machinery
- Ability to perform under stress, under pressure, and/or in emergency situations.
- Lift, carry, and move objects of up to 50 pounds.
- Operate machinery and/or power tools.
- Ability to walk on uneven ground (gravel, rocks, mounds, ice)
- Wear personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel-toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness.
- Frequently stand, walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull, reach, and use repetitive wrist and hand movements.
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and/or ramps while carrying tools requiring a reasonable degree of physical stamina and agility and involving moderate to severe physical exertion
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions (Cold or Heat)
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, reason logically, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to comprehend, remember, and follow verbal and written directions and comply with Company policies, procedures and standard.
- Ability to work in hazardous conditions (dust/gas/fumes/steam/chemicals)
- Ability to work at heights (scaffolding or ladders)
- Sit/stand while performing primarily sedentary work
- Exposure to vibration (oscillating movements of the extremities or whole body)
- Ability to work in noisy environments
- Ability to work in small and/or enclosed spaces
- Ability to work as a team, communicate and interact with others in a professional manner, and consider alternative and diverse perspectives.